These moist and fluffy vegan zucchini muffins are the perfect healthy breakfast on the go, baked dessert or lunch box snack with hidden veg!
Made with oats and infused with delicious peanut butter and banana; these are the best gluten free vegan zucchini muffins – easy, egg free & loaded with dairy free chocolate chips!
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links which helps keep things running here at FoodieeGee. Thankyou for your support if you shop through any of the links attached x
Tips for Fluffy Vegan Zucchini Muffins & FAQ’s
There is no need to remove the skin from the zucchini when using in baking like these muffins (unless you don’t want to see any green colour in the muffins.)
Wash and dry your zucchini well. Slice the ends off the zucchini and use a box grater/cheese grater to finely shred the zucchini onto a plate (keep all the excess liquid to add into the muffin mixture.) You can also use a food processor with a grater attachment to quickly shred zucchini.
Don’t open the oven door until your muffins have finished baking (for at least 25 minutes or if you start to smell that they are ready) to prevent your zucchini muffins from sinking in the middle. Leave the baked muffins in the tin to cool down first before transferring to a cooling rack.
Gently fold your muffin batter using a spatula until just combined and don’t overmix! Add a splash of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to the mixture help activate the baking powder for even fluffier muffins.
Sifting the flour will remove any lumps or grainy texture in your oat flour to create smoother, fluffier muffins. This step is optional however if you do choose to sift your flour, make sure you measure the flour after sifting.
Easy One-Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini muffins for everyone!
- dairy free
- gluten free
- no oil
- no refined sugar
- whole-food plant-based
- no nuts option
- no refined flours
Ingredient Substitutions (Vegan & Gluten free)
The mashed banana acts as a vegan egg replacer and adds natural sweetness but feel free to substitute it with applesauce or another fruit puree.
You can either use store bought oat flour or easily make your own in a blender or food processor by processing rolled oats into a fine flour. Oat flour acts very differently to other flours in baking so for guaranteed best results I wouldn’t recommend substituting it with another type of flour.
Peanut butter can be substituted for any nut butter you have such as almond, cashew or hazelnut butter. For a nut-free option use a seed butter such as tahini, sunflower, hemp or pumpkin seed butter.
Feel free to use your liquid natural sweetener of choice such as rice malt syrup or date syrup instead of pure maple syrup and adjust to taste.
Chocolate chips / Add-ins
Tools & Equipment needed
- Patty pans (reusable silicone cases or paper muffin liners)
- Muffin (or cupcake) baking tray
- Grater or food processor with grater attachment
- Mixing bowl
This easy muffin recipe was adapted from Gee’s 4 Ingredient Healthy Vegan Lemon Loaf!
If you love this recipe then you’re going to love these!…
Want to sneak more vegetables into your day?
Check out these easy tips and 10 Tasty Ways To Eat More Vegetables (even if you or your kids don’t like them!)…
Healthy Chocolate Chip Vegan Zucchini Muffins (Gluten free, Egg free)
- 200 g grated zucchini ~1 medium zucchini
- 2 cup non-dairy milk
- 80 g mashed banana (6tbs) ~1 banana
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 4 cup oat flour
- 4.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 tbsp cacao nibs or dairy free chocolate/choc chips
- Preveat oven to 180 degrees C (fan-forced) and line 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Squeeze the excess liquid out of the grated zucchini (you should end up with about 6tbsp of liquid.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients well.
- Add dry ingredients and cacao nibs/chocolate chips to the mixing bowl and gently fold toegether until just incorporated.
- Pour mixture into each of the muffin cases and leave on the bench to sit for about 10 minutes (this allows the mixture to thicken as the oat flour absorbs the liquid which will help stop the muffins hold their form.)
- Bake muffins for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool in baking tray for about 20 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Time needed: 40 minutes.
How To Make Healthy Vegan Zucchini Muffins
- Mix wet ingredients together
- Grate zucchini & squeeze out excess liquid
- Fold all ingredients together
- Pour batter into muffin tray and bake
Want more delicious, healthy vegan meals & recipes that are quick & easy to make?
OIL FREE SOY FREE REFINED SUGAR FREE GLUTEN FREE